Author Topic: Star Fox anime series?  (Read 5158 times)

Offline Vulpine

• The wandering fox
  • Lylatian Citizen
  • Mission complete.
    • View Profile
Star Fox anime series?
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:14:28 PM »
In my opinion, I would like to see a Star Fox anime made, since there already has been a manga under the name of “Farewell, Beloved Falco” which takes place between 64 and Adventures (Not to mention the various comic adaptions, including the old Nintendo Power one that I liked), and it would be cool to watch. I mean, a lot of video game franchises were already adapted to anime shows (i.e. Sonic X, F-Zero: GP Legend, Kirby: Right Back at Ya! and of course, Pokemon) so I wouldn’t be surprised if it were to happen (I’m a huge anime fan). Fortunately, it is Nintendo's choice to decide and not mine (since they made and own the Star Fox characters and franchise). But we will see what happens.

Offline shippothekit

• Lylatian Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Star Fox anime series?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 07:24:00 PM »
Doubt it would happen, Zelda has tons of manga adaptions but no anime. Star Fox just isn't popular enough...
Translated Star Fox Adventures Manga: http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p138/sfamanga/

Offline Saski

• Offers pacific northwest tours with bigfoot, apparently the only mexican
  • Maintanance Bot
  • Your souls are weighed down by Equestria's gravity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 07:43:33 PM »
Lol I was just thinking about this today. I think the franchise would make a very, very good anime if done correctly. The problem of course is the series popularity like shippothekit said. If someone where to make it, I think they should start it just before "Messege from General Pepper, priority one", that way we could get a bit more of backstory.

Offline Vulpine

• The wandering fox
  • Lylatian Citizen
  • Mission complete.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:54:14 PM »
Lol I was just thinking about this today. I think the franchise would make a very, very good anime if done correctly. The problem of course is the series popularity like shippothekit said. If someone where to make it, I think they should start it just before "Messege from General Pepper, priority one", that way we could get a bit more of backstory.

Exactly. However, I think Star Fox is more popular then you think (Since there is already 5 games in the series, 6 if you count the Star Fox 64 remake for the 3DS that is coming out soon).

Offline Saski

• Offers pacific northwest tours with bigfoot, apparently the only mexican
  • Maintanance Bot
  • Your souls are weighed down by Equestria's gravity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 08:06:05 PM »
 Well, the fanbase itself is very big, but I think that is mostly composed of Hardcore Star Fox fans. Others are casual Star Fox fans. These are the fans that go like "I didn't know that there was a Star Fox for the DS, or that assualt existed, but I love Star Fox 64 and I never played adventures". The good thing is that when SF64 3DS come out, Im sure that we might get a bit more of activity here and more at SF-O which is great cause the hardcore fanbase grows even more.

Offline The Flying Fox

• Chocolate Homo Boyz
  • Savior of Lylat
  • I HATE YOUR POSTING
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 05:01:44 AM »
I don't really know. I mean, Zelda had an animated cartoon, if I remember right. And then there were the comics in Nintendo Power of course. Star Fox was lucky enough to have two, one in NP and a manga that wasn't half bad and had an interesting storyline.

But an anime? Hell, I don't know if I'd want there to be one. Sure, it'd be cool to see the series gain some recognition, but I'm of two minds about how the license would've been treated in an anime medium. Like with all things, there's good anime and there's absolutely god-awful anime. Anyway, as to the question if we'll ever see a Star Fox anime, my guess is that the only bet we have is to wait and see. The future's a pretty big place, and no one knows whether or not there'll be another smash hit SF game that'll reinvent the franchise and spawn a bunch of spin-offs like Zelda and Mario did in the early days.

Offline Vulpine

• The wandering fox
  • Lylatian Citizen
  • Mission complete.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 10:04:01 PM »
I don't really know. I mean, Zelda had an animated cartoon, if I remember right. And then there were the comics in Nintendo Power of course. Star Fox was lucky enough to have two, one in NP and a manga that wasn't half bad and had an interesting storyline.

But an anime? Hell, I don't know if I'd want there to be one. Sure, it'd be cool to see the series gain some recognition, but I'm of two minds about how the license would've been treated in an anime medium. Like with all things, there's good anime and there's absolutely god-awful anime. Anyway, as to the question if we'll ever see a Star Fox anime, my guess is that the only bet we have is to wait and see. The future's a pretty big place, and no one knows whether or not there'll be another smash hit SF game that'll reinvent the franchise and spawn a bunch of spin-offs like Zelda and Mario did in the early days.

What's wrong with a video game getting an anime adaption? I think it would be good for Star Fox since many other franchises had that treatment. The adaptions may not be the best anime and manga in the world, but I enjoyed them.

Offline The Flying Fox

• Chocolate Homo Boyz
  • Savior of Lylat
  • I HATE YOUR POSTING
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
Well, that's kind of the point - the SP comic and the recent one were both campy, cheesy and mediocre in their own ways, but they were enjoyable to us, since we're fans. I'm unsure if people who didn't know or care for the license beforehand would find them as entertaining. A cartoon requires significantly more effort to produce, and so it becomes more difficult to make a good cartoon. I don't want to watch a substandard cartoon just because it bears the name of Star Fox on the grounds that it is substandard and doesn't do anything to draw positive attention to the franchise. Bad publicity is, after all, bad.

A good or even great cartoon would be awesome. But if it's insane, melodramatic anime fare (Sonic?) I'd give it a wide berth. But in any case, I'm very discerning and critical and I suppose I should just be happy that SF gets the attention, if a cartoon is ever made.

Offline Vulpine

• The wandering fox
  • Lylatian Citizen
  • Mission complete.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »
Well, that's kind of the point - the SP comic and the recent one were both campy, cheesy and mediocre in their own ways, but they were enjoyable to us, since we're fans. I'm unsure if people who didn't know or care for the license beforehand would find them as entertaining. A cartoon requires significantly more effort to produce, and so it becomes more difficult to make a good cartoon. I don't want to watch a substandard cartoon just because it bears the name of Star Fox on the grounds that it is substandard and doesn't do anything to draw positive attention to the franchise. Bad publicity is, after all, bad.

A good or even great cartoon would be awesome. But if it's insane, melodramatic anime fare (Sonic?) I'd give it a wide berth. But in any case, I'm very discerning and critical and I suppose I should just be happy that SF gets the attention, if a cartoon is ever made.

It does take a lot of effort to make an anime series as opposed to just drawing and writing manga. Adaptions are made for the loyal fans of the franchises, and that is the way it is.

Offline Sylum

• Hated of Bridges
  • Bill Grey's Wingman
  • The resident bass player, flipper, and pilot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:35:32 AM »
I mean, Zelda had an animated cartoon, if I remember right.

Do you also remember how awesomely terrible it was?

Laika, Sasha, and Bolik.
Three dogs of space.
Now ressurected in a new form.
An art form.

Offline Cobalt

• I don't exactly hate you, but...
  • Chocolate Homo Boyz
  • Savior of Lylat
  • If you were on fire and I had water, I'd drink it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 01:32:09 PM »
Well EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE me, Sylum.

As for adaptations being made for loyal fans of the franchises... I'm not entirely sure about that claim. The cynic in me wants to argue that it's largely about the numbers - series with more fans are more likely to wind up with an anime adaptation in order to further garner interest and positive ratings on the sponsor network, etc.

As for my thoughts on an anime itself, I don't think Star Fox really lends itself to the kind style typically found in anime. That's entirely based on personal preference though. They might be able to pull it off fairly well, they might not. It'd depend on what they were going for, I guess.

Quote from: You know who you are
i can't think of anything sexier than a semi-androgynous sticklike canadian pudding-wrestling with a gay dude >:

Offline Sylum

• Hated of Bridges
  • Bill Grey's Wingman
  • The resident bass player, flipper, and pilot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 03:14:35 PM »
<3 cobalt! :D

Laika, Sasha, and Bolik.
Three dogs of space.
Now ressurected in a new form.
An art form.

Offline Starcoon

• Spah sappin' muh sentreh sappin' spah sentreh sappin' muh spah sappin' spah sap sentreh spah sappin' muhSENTREH DOWN!
  • Star Fox Trainee
  • Ohhhhhh, the shame...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 03:29:56 PM »
As for my thoughts on an anime itself, I don't think Star Fox really lends itself to the kind style typically found in anime. That's entirely based on personal preference though. They might be able to pull it off fairly well, they might not. It'd depend on what they were going for, I guess.

Quoted for truth. I'm not too sure that it could be done well, but hey, if they can pull it off, then mo-

Uhh, yeah.
Quote from: you know
*deflects death with giant penis*

Offline usarmyranger

• Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 04:05:56 AM »
i agree that would be cool to see starfox as a tv show

Offline Neoshadow1104

• The Keeper of Darkness
  • Lylatian Citizen
  • Wolfen Studios
    • View Profile
    • Neoshadow1104 on DeviantART.com
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 07:24:45 PM »
The only question I raise is: What age range would they make it for? A childrens show or something a teenager would watch? Theories anyone?
Aye, Aye, Captian McFluffy!

The Neo Chronicles: Till Death do us Part (Coming soon on DeviantART)

The Conspiracy (Coming soon to YouTube)

Offline LionHeart

• Hero of Corneria
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 08:05:23 PM »
The only question I raise is: What age range would they make it for? A childrens show or something a teenager would watch? Theories anyone?

The common practice in japan is that anime is usually destined for the pre-teen crowd and younger.
So, it could be developed towards children, but fanboy conception'll probably think it's DEEEEEP and FOR TEENAGERS AND ADULTSADASDFASDSGS.
So, yeah.

Offline Macha

• Over-caffeinated pilot
  • Test Drone
  • Baaah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 01:07:51 PM »
I'd love to see a Star Fox anime but yeah....Ain't gonna happen folks. -.-

Offline Star Tiger

• The Tiger of Typos
  • Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2010, 03:47:06 PM »
I personally disagree with a Star Fox anime. I suppose a TV series can hep develop a plot...but would it be considered canon? I feel that if Nintendo finally decides on a solid plot for Star Fox, it should be delivered in a new game. Not only that, not everyone that plays Star Fox would watch the show, so if a game came out based on the show, some fans would be left in the dark. And I hope that if there IS a Star Fox anime, it's not horrid like the Zelda cartoon.

And I agree with Cobalt- they may very well be able to make a cool, successful anime. I'm not saying it's impossible; I'm just saying it's unlikely (in my opinion). I guess we gotta wait and see what happens.

Offline phantron_hunter

• Lylatian Citizen
  • Buy me "Bonestorm" or go to Hell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »
I'll have to dig up a link that was on SFO several months back that either DZ Composer or Mr. Krystal found on You Tube of a fan made Star Fox Anime intro. It was pretty cool actually.

...Found it!

Well apparently it's a Star Fox send up of the Full Metal Alchemist intro. Never seen FMA, so the FMA connection was lost on me. Either way it's still pretty cool, and Peppy looks bizarre in a very bad ass way. Also, the artist (Inubiko) has a great flair for this, I wish they'd develop this further.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:27:38 AM by phantron_hunter »

Offline AngelFoxDreamer

• Star Fox Wingman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2010, 12:27:24 AM »
I think with StarFox storyline they would be better making a film (anime or CG). The games aren't lengthy and could easily be made to movie length. As an anime series more chance of them adding stuff no one likes because there would be a lot of gaps to do so. Less space in a movie.

Offline Vulpine

• The wandering fox
  • Lylatian Citizen
  • Mission complete.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 11:19:14 PM »
I think with StarFox storyline they would be better making a film (anime or CG). The games aren't lengthy and could easily be made to movie length. As an anime series more chance of them adding stuff no one likes because there would be a lot of gaps to do so. Less space in a movie.

Why would you want a film instead of a series? Star Fox has so much potential for an anime series (Some episodes could be based on various missions from the games) and the anime could incorporate elements from the manga/comics in addition to the games (I miss Fara Phoenix) and that would make things more interesting then ever before.

Offline AngelFoxDreamer

• Star Fox Wingman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 12:56:49 AM »
I think I already answered why but I will put it another way.

Starting with the N64 game. If you add in all the story parts from before, after and bits during the mission your not getting 12 episodes worth of stuff. You would think the gameplay parts would increase this length a lot but it won't. A lot of the gameplay parts aren't necessary. The actual parts that are such as boss fights would be edited to be more faster and exciting. So we got like 10 min battle at best. This means one thing fillers. Fillers are not always a bad thing but hardly ever good. Tsubasa chronicles is the best one to show why fillers are just bad. The manga after the library is less child friendly however the anime ignored this and has happy fillers instead.  :what: Thankfully they had sense to do some OVAs and OADs of a couple of parts later on. They haven't done all of it though...

So chances are with a StarFox series we get a lot of talking a battle and then more talking. Which as we know from SFC isn't a good thing.

Offline Vulpine

• The wandering fox
  • Lylatian Citizen
  • Mission complete.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 01:19:18 AM »
I think I already answered why but I will put it another way.

Starting with the N64 game. If you add in all the story parts from before, after and bits during the mission your not getting 12 episodes worth of stuff. You would think the gameplay parts would increase this length a lot but it won't. A lot of the gameplay parts aren't necessary. The actual parts that are such as boss fights would be edited to be more faster and exciting. So we got like 10 min battle at best. This means one thing fillers. Fillers are not always a bad thing but hardly ever good. Tsubasa chronicles is the best one to show why fillers are just bad. The manga after the library is less child friendly however the anime ignored this and has happy fillers instead.  :what: Thankfully they had sense to do some OVAs and OADs of a couple of parts later on. They haven't done all of it though...

So chances are with a StarFox series we get a lot of talking a battle and then more talking. Which as we know from SFC isn't a good thing.

Hey, I liked Star Fox Command. It had plenty of good things (like Lucy Hare and the new designs for Bill and Katt) so there is no reason to complain. The only flaw in that game is Krystal's role (I wish she didn't betray Fox), but if you can not think about her and focus on the other things then you will find the game to be enjoyable (It's the closest to the classic Star Fox games as a new game can get at this point). A Star Fox anime OVA would have good animation and be somewhat interesting, but it does not matter to me if a Star Fox anime is either a series or just an OVA or film, since both a film/OVA and series is enjoyable in their own ways. The games themselves already has good voice acting so I could imagine that the Star Fox series has potential to adapt to an anime if done well. It's just the fact that no one made a Star Fox anime yet (with the exceptions of the comic and manga adaptions).

Offline AngelFoxDreamer

• Star Fox Wingman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 01:27:19 AM »
I didn't say iSFC is bad. Just the story is bad.

Offline Vulpine

• The wandering fox
  • Lylatian Citizen
  • Mission complete.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 01:30:27 AM »

I am sure they will write a better story if they make the next game. Nintendo still listens to their fans, so it's not like they forgot everything that made the Star Fox series great in the first place.

Offline Drasiana

• Trashy Internet Fanfiction Kraken
  • Chocolate Homo Boyz
  • Savior of Lylat
  • Well, it could really be much worse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »

I am sure they will write a better story if they make the next game. Nintendo still listens to their fans, so it's not like they forgot everything that made the Star Fox series great in the first place.

Sure, the last three games have had horrid scripts despite fan outcry, but they have to remember at some point, right?

A Star Fox 'anime' would be cool if it somehow managed to be good, but looking at the track record of Nintendo cartoons, I am a little leery.

'Well excuuuuuse me, Krystal.'

I guess the Animal Crossing cartoon was okay.
Quote from: Fred
He's like if a Norwegian dude and a Japanese dude had a dude baby with a bunch of swords and sh!t

Starcoon: Boobs are trapezoids, right?
Cobalt: i think so

TFF: If I went to someone's birthday party and they had a pokemon's ass on it I would punch someone

Offline Genji McCloud

• Butt-tard Maximus
  • Chocolate Homo Boyz
  • Savior of Lylat
  • I wait with open hatches for Great Bill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 11:26:58 AM »

Hey, I liked Star Fox Command. It had plenty of good things (like Lucy Hare and the new designs for Bill and Katt) so there is no reason to complain. The only flaw in that game is Krystal's role (I wish she didn't betray Fox), but if you can not think about her and focus on the other things then you will find the game to be enjoyable (It's the closest to the classic Star Fox games as a new game can get at this point).

Time to practice my essay-grading skills.

A. I think you need to understand that a forum on the Internet (yes, even this one!) is what we in the humanities call a 'discursive space'.  It is a place (in the abstract sense in this case) in which individuals (like you) meet up to engage in 'discourse'.  A discourse is an exchange of ideas by individuals, to put it simply.  This exchange implies that each individual will have his or her ideas.  These ideas may (this is going to be scary) be...DIFFERENT from your own.

After acknowledging this fact, you need to accept it and move on.  You needn't get beet-faced and apoplectic when someone expresses an idea that doesn't kiss the toes of your own.  This is all taken for granted in a 'discourse'.

2.  There is a huge difference between 'facts' and 'opinions'.  A fact is a statement of something that is demonstrably true.  An example would be 'A banana is a fruit'.  An opinion is not demonstrably true.  It is someone's thoughts on a certain idea that reflect their interpretation of this idea.  Be careful!  Some opinions, like most of yours, look like, and may be treated (by people who don't grasp the difference clearly) as facts.

Let's look at an example:

You said earlier regarding Command:

It had plenty of good things{...}

OK.  This is an opinion.  It reflects your value judgment on Star Fox Command.  That's easy enough to see at first glance.  However, you treat it as a fact that you can bludgeon against someone's head like some scientific statistic.  Most people find this offensive.  Also, most people find it incredibly naive and, frankly, stupid.  Please be more careful in future.

Incidentally, I think everyone believe that if you ignore Krystal the game would be better.  However, your reasons for doing so are very likely uniquely your own.

源氏 マクラウド

cobot dalta who wus ganjees luvor marrd deaply as he sotked his faec

Offline Blink

• Fan Game Embassador
  • Chocolate Homo Boyz
  • Savior of Lylat
  • the already disheveled hair projection
    • View Profile
    • GaligoGames.com
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 12:51:14 PM »
Genji, you (and your essay grading skillz) absolutely rock.
Galigo Games

I wish I could unthink some of this...

Carlson and Peters, page 283, "Don't break up the team"
Carlson and Peters, page 284, "Sometimes, you have to break up the team"

Offline Vulpine

• The wandering fox
  • Lylatian Citizen
  • Mission complete.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 01:14:56 PM »

Hey, I liked Star Fox Command. It had plenty of good things (like Lucy Hare and the new designs for Bill and Katt) so there is no reason to complain. The only flaw in that game is Krystal's role (I wish she didn't betray Fox), but if you can not think about her and focus on the other things then you will find the game to be enjoyable (It's the closest to the classic Star Fox games as a new game can get at this point).

Time to practice my essay-grading skills.

A. I think you need to understand that a forum on the Internet (yes, even this one!) is what we in the humanities call a 'discursive space'.  It is a place (in the abstract sense in this case) in which individuals (like you) meet up to engage in 'discourse'.  A discourse is an exchange of ideas by individuals, to put it simply.  This exchange implies that each individual will have his or her ideas.  These ideas may (this is going to be scary) be...DIFFERENT from your own.

After acknowledging this fact, you need to accept it and move on.  You needn't get beet-faced and apoplectic when someone expresses an idea that doesn't kiss the toes of your own.  This is all taken for granted in a 'discourse'.

2.  There is a huge difference between 'facts' and 'opinions'.  A fact is a statement of something that is demonstrably true.  An example would be 'A banana is a fruit'.  An opinion is not demonstrably true.  It is someone's thoughts on a certain idea that reflect their interpretation of this idea.  Be careful!  Some opinions, like most of yours, look like, and may be treated (by people who don't grasp the difference clearly) as facts.

Let's look at an example:

You said earlier regarding Command:

It had plenty of good things{...}

OK.  This is an opinion.  It reflects your value judgment on Star Fox Command.  That's easy enough to see at first glance.  However, you treat it as a fact that you can bludgeon against someone's head like some scientific statistic.  Most people find this offensive.  Also, most people find it incredibly naive and, frankly, stupid.  Please be more careful in future.

Incidentally, I think everyone believe that if you ignore Krystal the game would be better.  However, your reasons for doing so are very likely uniquely your own.

I am well aware that this is a forum on the Internet, and yes, I know that opinions are not facts. But that does not mean people have the right to flame me and talk down at me every ten seconds. I have known the Star Fox franchise ever since the first game (the SNES Star Fox) was released back in 1993. I have played all games in the series (beaten them as well) and read every comic or manga. I know what this series is like. Yet, people treat me like the black sheep of the forums for some reason. I will try to be careful next time.

Sure, the last three games have had horrid scripts despite fan outcry, but they have to remember at some point, right?

A Star Fox 'anime' would be cool if it somehow managed to be good, but looking at the track record of Nintendo cartoons, I am a little leery.

'Well excuuuuuse me, Krystal.'

I guess the Animal Crossing cartoon was okay.

I liked the Nintendo shows because they were memorable and aren't overrated like the Disney Afternoon shows are (I still wish someone would make a Star Fox anime, but that's just me). I also liked the Animal Crossing film, too.

Adventures, Assault and Command were not bad games. They just play a little differently then classic Star Fox, and are still enjoyable in their own ways. I am sure if they work on the next Star Fox, it will get the Sonic 4 treatment and please the retro fans by having it stay true to the game's roots among other things the fans hope for. I still think there should be a sequel to Command that reveals the true ending, but we'll see.

Offline Blink

• Fan Game Embassador
  • Chocolate Homo Boyz
  • Savior of Lylat
  • the already disheveled hair projection
    • View Profile
    • GaligoGames.com
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 01:36:57 PM »
Just as a heads up Vulpine: all too often you are using "to be" words without "I think" statements before them, thus making your opinions look like facts, and when you put down a bunch of facts that are subjective (or, should be opinions) people get frustrated over that because you're spreading misinformation.

The last sentence of your post there, "I still think there should be a sequel to Command..." is exactly like how all of your opinion sentences should look - it makes it clear that you have an opinion on something. Otherwise, it really does look like you're stating things as facts, even if you might not be.

It's the difference between looking like you know what you're talking about, and looking like you know absolutely nothing. Without the opinion part, it looks like you've never discussed your ideas with anyone else ever before, and cannot yet comprehend the idea of alternative opinions.
Galigo Games

I wish I could unthink some of this...

Carlson and Peters, page 283, "Don't break up the team"
Carlson and Peters, page 284, "Sometimes, you have to break up the team"